Develop healthy habits early on for lifelong PKU management.
PKU should be managed as early as possible in a child’s life. Start lifelong management with support from a PKU clinic and have frequent, honest conversations. Your clinical care team will teach you the recommended ways to manage PKU.
With PKU, the foods you eat directly impact the way you think and feel.
Phe is present in almost all natural protein-containing foods. Your clinical care team will help you determine how much Phe should be part of your diet.
Learn new ways to cook for a person with PKU. Change up your PKU-friendly menu with these recipes.PKU-friendly recipes
Help your child learn about managing their PKU.
I do; you watch
- Explain everything you do and why it is important
- Demonstrate the order of activities and ensure your child is watching
I do; you help
- Work together with your child and help them along as needed
- Ask questions to see if your child knows why this routine is important
You do; I help
- Set small, achievable goals and try to make it fun to form these habits
- Step in with support when needed and remind your child why this routine is so important
You do; I watch
- Set larger goals for the future and allow your child to take charge of their routine
- Help them along, but try not to step in too early. Making mistakes will help them learn and prepare for their future
"Of course I was completely frightened, I was confused because I was completely unaware of what PKU was."
Discover the experience of a mother and daughter in dealing with initial diagnosis and growing up with PKU.